Home to the largest collection of Egyptian artifacts on exhibit in western North America.
The history of this museum began with the dream of Dr. H. Spencer Lewis.
In 1922, some artifacts that were excavated at the site site of Tell el-Amarna were given to the museum in gratitude for the support that had been offered to the Egypt Exploration Society. These artifacts provide a snapshot of life at the end of the Eighteenth Dynasty in Egypt.
Opened in 1966, the museum is designed in an Egyptian architectural style. Bronze doors open between pylons in the form of ancient temples.
Today, the museum houses a collection of over 4,000 artifacts, as well as a collection of replicas and scale models used in the educational program and for tours for the sight-impaired. The artifacts in the collection are considered ambassadors from the ancient world and are used to educate students and visitors alike in the lives of the people of the ancient world.